I visit other universities and do workshops for researchers of all ages and stages!
Well I used to, until Covid-19 grounded me… below is a revised list of workshops and lectures I can do live via Zoom while there are still travel restrictions
In most cases, I charge a fee to deliver workshops outside of ANU. Please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
I do not offer an individualised thesis coaching or proofreading service. If you need this kind of help, please look at the Recommended page for trusted suppliers.
So, you’re graduating your PhD in a Pandemic. What next?
A free lecture – contact me if you would like to deliver this for your university.
Covid-19 presents a massive disruption to the academic workforce. PhD students and early career researchers are worried about their future career prospects inside academia and confused about their options outside the university walls. In this one hour lecture I use our team’s research on the post-PhD job market to:
- Enhance your understanding of the changed academic job market, analysing the effects of hiring freezes and travel restrictions.
- Increase awareness of career opportunities in industry; which sectors are looking for research talent?
- Help you approach the non-academic job market with more confidence.
Who? PhD students, supervisors and policy makers
How long? One hour (with Q&A)
How many? up to 500 participants on Zoom
Academic Writing workshop series
(These are based on our books ‘How to fix your academic writing trouble: a practical guide’ and ‘Level up your essays’)
These short workshops help competent academic writers become outstanding and persuasive scholarly communicators. Each of the workshops in the list below runs for one hour online. Each session can be run seperately, or stacked together into a one or two day intensive workshop:
- How to write clearer sentences
- How to write logically connected sentences
- How to write with less word clutter
- How to write about other people’s research
- How to write more compelling sentences
- How to write an abstract for a journal paper
- How to write using diagrams
- How to finish your huge writing project (and get on with your life)
Who? Anyone writing or editing academic texts.
How long and how many?
Each workshop module goes for one hour and places are only limited by your university Zoom capacity. Whole day workshops are limited to 30 people.
Participants should have their own internet enabled device and copies of their work in progress
Post PhD employment workshops
My research specialty is post-PhD employment opportunities. I am a member of the PostAc team at ANU who use machine learning and natural language processing tools to explore the potential job market for PhD graduates.
Our research shows that 80% of the jobs that are suitable for PhD graduates do not say ‘PhD’ anywhere in the job ad, making the non-academic research job search difficult. Our PostAc platform makes this vast, largely hidden market for PhD level talent more visible.
Explore the PostAc course map to see the training that comes with the tool – I only offer these to PostAc subscribers. Please contact me on email@example.com for more information.
How to influence others with your research
In the age of skepticism about experts, it’s even more important we learn to communicate our research to a wide range of audiences. In this workshop we will learn:
- How the brain processes text and images in our presentations
- How to communicate complex ideas with concrete analogies and metaphors
Who? PhD students and academics who want to improve their communication skills
How long and how many?
This workshop goes for one hour and places are only limited by your university Zoom capacity.